Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Nectarine Experiment Concludes

Day 15:



It's been fifteen days since I started the nectarine experiment and to be honest, I expected more dramatic results.  As you can see from the picture, they are both decomposing significantly, although half B is more shriveled.  Also, something that could only be gleaned from viewing them in person is that half B has a high concentration of fruit flies congregating on it, whereas, half A has virtually none.

Two things I must point out:

1.  After starting the experiment, I discovered that the pyramid must be facing the north star Polaris, which is slightly off true North read on a compass. 

2.  I had the angle slightly wrong and had to cut the top inch and 3/8 off the top of the pyramid and re-glue the apex.

Both these revelations occurred on day 6.  I will start a new fruit experiment with my corrections, and will use an apple,  but will do it in one post 15 days from now.  In the meantime,  stay tuned to see how a seed grows inside a pyramid!  I'm thinking beans, since they grow fastest...

2 comments: